3 km east of the Monastery, on the pathway to the cave and the grave of St. John of Rila, in immediate proximity to the hermitage, dedicated to St. Apostle and Evangelist Luke, is located the hermitage “Intercession of the Theotokos”. The church was built in 1805 by masters Michael and Radonitsa of the village of Rilla. The Ktetor is debuty-abbot Theodosius - one of the prominent monks of the Rila Monastery. The church is a single-nave basilica. It consists of altar, central nave compartment, narthex and to the right of it there is an attached rest room. Its width is 4 meters, the length - 12 meters. The height is 4 meters. It was built of stone and mortar.
The murals were painted in 1811 by Toma Vishanov - Molera. The northern wall in the narthex depicts the Toll Houses, by which the human soul passes after death. In the central part are painted scenes, based on lines from the Akathist Hymn to the Theotokos. The old iconostasis is exhibited at the National Arts Gallery.